Now, I am not the biggest baker, however my sister loves to bake. This recipe is the result of her wanting bran muffins and me modifying them to make them more diabetic friendly and to add a little bit of vegetables.
I love the taste of carrots, cinnamon and nutmeg when they are cooked together. Makes any baked good taste like carrot cake and I think we could all use a bit more carrot cake in our life. So I hope you enjoy these carrot cake in disguise muffins!
Active Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 ½ cups wheat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all -purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 egg
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 carrots, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- ⅓ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Pepitas, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare your muffin tin. Either grease the tin or insert muffin liners.
- Combine the buttermilk and the bran in a medium bowl and let sit for ten minutes.
- While waiting for the bran, in a large bowl combine both the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat together the oil, egg, brown sugar and vanilla. Add this into the bran & buttermilk mixture. Then incorporate this into the flour.
- Fold in the carrots, the raisins and the shredded coconut.
- Distribute evenly into the muffin tins and sprinkle pepitas on top for a nice texture.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes. If you poke a toothpick in it should come out clean.
Inspiration for this recipe comes from: