This recipe is pure comfort food, there are no two ways about it. Over the past 6 months, many times when I am in a pinch for time and want comfort food I have a quick meat sauce with sauteed veggies, beyond meat and premade tomato sauce. It always hits the mark and in this lasagna I do something similar. We make a quick ragu with the beyond meat and add in mushrooms for some umami. Then we make a delicious and cheesy lasagna that will leave you wanting more.
In this recipe I call for no boil lasagna noodles, as it is convenient for a weeknight dinner. However, feel free to use your preferred lasagna noodles. Be sure to cook the lasagna as the noodles call for, as all the other ingredients are already cooked. At the end we also quickly broil the lasagna to brown the cheese on top and get a bit more flavour and texture. I hope you enjoy it!
Active time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 oz crimini mushroom, roughly diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Beyond Meat patties (1 pack)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1-1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- Salt, to taste
- Empty the canned tomatoes into a large bowl. With clean hands, break them up until there are no chunks. Add in the tomato paste and mix until well combined, set aside.
- Heat a large pot on medium-low heat and add the olive oil. Add in the onions and mushrooms. Season with a pinch of salt and cook for 4-5 minutes until fragrant. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add in the Beyond Meat patties to the pan and separate with a wooden spoon until it resembles ground beef. Add in the Italian seasoning, the chili flakes and ½ tsp salt. Cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes. After, add in the tomato mix, the honey and the balsamic vinegar and combine thoroughly. Simmer with lid on for 15-20 minutes.
- Time to assemble your lasagna. Prepare your noodles according to package instructions. Get out an 8×8 baking tin. Layer 1 ½ cups sauce on the bottom then add on 3 lasagna noodles. Now spread ½ cup ricotta, followed by 1 ½ cups sauce then another layer of noodles. Repeat this layer once more. Finally, add the remaining sauce on top and add the shredded mozzarella. Bake according to lasagna noodle instructions.
- Once time is up, set the oven to broil. Bake for 2-3 minutes checking constantly to brown the cheese on top. Let cool for a bit before serving. Enjoy!