One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of vegetarian blogs do not cook using fake meat. However, I quite like fake meat. It is a nice treat now and then even if it is more processed than other protein options. If you are vegetarian simply because you don’t like meat then I totally understand why you would avoid it. This recipe can be just as tasty using your preferred protein, so feel free to sub in some tofu if you’d like!
This is a take on the classic beef and broccoli, a dish that I hold fond memories of from my childhood. When we were kids it was neither homemade nor vegetarian, but I believe that this does justice to my childhood memories. We season the broccoli while it sautés with Chinese Five Spice mix and then make a soy based sauce that ties the dish together nicely. I would also highly recommend leaving the seeds in the red chili, it will bring a bit of heat, but is well worth the flavour. Great right away and as leftovers as well, I hope you enjoy!
Active time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1-1 ½ lbs broccoli florets
- 2 tsp Chinese Five Spice mix
- 1 bag Gardein Beefless Tips (found in frozen aisle)
- 1 Thaï hot red chili, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 shallots, diced
- 1 ½ inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- Neutral oil, to cook
- Green onion, to top
- Sesame seeds, to top
- Heat a large non stick pan on medium heat. Add in 2 tbsps of neutral oil, when hot, add in the broccoli florets, the Chinese Five Spice mix and a generous pinch of salt. Sauté with the lid on for 6-8 minutes stirring occasionally. Sauté with the lid on in order to steam the broccoli a bit as well.
- While the broccoli cooks, make the sauce (no rush as you can throw the sauce together while the beefless tips cook as well). Combine the soy sauce, miso, mirin, rice vinegar, sesame oil and water and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- When the broccoli is done set it aside and add another splash of oil to the bottom of the pan and cook the beefless tips for 8 minutes flipping occasionally. Once complete set it aside with the broccoli.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and heat another 2 tbsps of neutral oil in the same pan. Add in the red chili and the garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant and beginning to brown. Add in the shallots and ginger and sauté another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the hot pan and let it simmer off for a minute or so. Add in the broccoli and beefless tips and combine. Place the lid on and let it combine flavours for 2-3 minutes. Serve over rice topped with sliced green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!