Coconut bacon has quickly become a staple of my kitchen, almost always available in the cabinet. Like real bacon, it has a wonderful crunch and a smokey flavour that is often times hard to find in vegetarian cooking. Add it to any dish (as I do in many recipes on this blog) that could use a smokey twist and a bit of saltiness, you will not regret it!
Active time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- tbsp neutral oil
- 1 ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne chili powder
- pinch of salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 cups large, unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 325F. In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, liquid smoke, oil, maple syrup, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Whisk it until well incorporated.
- Add in the coconut flakes. Mix the flakes in until they are all evenly coated. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment and transfer the coconut flakes over to it.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes on the 325. How long it cooks depends on the thickness of your coconut flakes. After 7 minutes, take them out to toss and turn them before returning them to the oven. Once the time is up minutes is up, let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes to finish cooking.
[…] Mac n Cheese has some nice smokey undertones. We top it with Coconut Bacon, green onion and add in red chili flakes to the sauce to give it bbq vibes. With that said, the […]